Friday, February 13, 2009

Fireworks in February?

I just saw the most amazing thing.

I was sitting on the couch trying to get caught up on my '09 Challenge reading while Jason was out getting a heart-shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's. (They were on sale for $6.99.) First I heard a loud banging noise, which sounded like someone kept hitting a trash can. I looked up and saw what I thought was fireworks, but a lot brighter! I went to look out the front window and saw the explosions coming from the back yards of the houses across the street. I was wondering why in the world anyone would be lighting fire crackers while it's still daylight in February.

Of course they were such a bright white that I quickly realized they weren't fireworks at all. I figured out that the explosions were all happening the same height above the ground - the electrical lines! I stood there for another minutes watching the lights and then they stopped. I probably ignored the sounds for a good minute or more, so I'm thinking it must have gone on for at least 2-3 minutes. Crazy.

I called Dad and Claire to see what they thought and they're thinking that a branch must have fallen on the line and caused the line to short out. You know me, I'll google search this until I get some answers... and maybe a video. Updates to come later.

Update: found a video that shows what it looked like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYUmdqQ94Ao

1 comment:

  1. You were well out of the way right? That must have been odd/fun to watch!?!

    ReplyDelete