Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Horribly emotional day - a recap

I'm not sure why I want to remember this day, but for some reason I'm compelled to blog about it.

This morning I got up and got ready to go back to Cincinnati for another week. It's hard to leave when there's so many things I'd rather do in the evening than work late, but I offered to do this and I need to complete things. So I took 71 South instead of 75 to make life a little easier, but the drive seemed longer than ever.

I got to work and the piles of boxes to go through have grown and there's a stack on my desk. There's a few things that annoy me about my job and they were staring me down this morning. So I feel like I was on edge as soon as the day started.

At lunch I called 5/3 bank to check on some unauthorized charges on my card and although they froze my card months ago, they didn't resolve anything like they said they would. They also told me that there were quite a few more attempts to charge on my card. Ugh. So I get online to look at this myself and I see something that looks like a check against my account. They had my name, my address and my account number! I was so upset, I printed out the check and marched down to the nearest branch.

I presented the check to the teller/customer service manager and asked her how this could happen. She looked at it and brought up my account. While I was explaining to her about my identity being stolen and confused about how they got my account info, she starts smiling at me. It was a deposit slip, not a check. I didn't recognize the hand writing because a teller filled it out for me. I had completely forgotten about going into the branch to make a payment instead of doing it online.

So I headed back to work feeling incredibly relieved and stupid. I suddenly appreciated the piles of work waiting for me - I needed to work on something that would feel normal and build my confidence back up.

A few hours later I get a phone call from my mom. I was happy to hear from her and was really looking forward to camping with them in North Carolina this weekend. My mom and step-dad are volunteering at the Pisgah National Park this summer. They're not working this weekend, so we thought it would be a great time to go down and visit them and hang out with them at their RV. The plan was to bring our tent and stay on their site - which is away from the camping area. However, Mom called to break the news that no guests in tents are allowed. (Seriously?!?)

So Jason and I frantically started searching for campgrounds in the area. Everything was booked! We started wondering if we should postpone our camping trip and just stay home this weekend. I called Mom back to find out the areas around them and we found a few other places that might work, but they're a little further away. We still don't have a reservation yet, so it's really up in the air on what we'll end up doing.

Then my cell phone rings and it's the vet. Kinzie has lost weight and she just isn't herself. We took her to the vet yesterday and the diagnosis wasn't good. She got some blood work to try to figure out what's going on. The vet called with bad news. All her levels were real low, and with a galloping heartbeat and tumors, she thinks it's cancer. We discussed all our options but bottom line, there's not much we can do. We have the option of doing x-rays to figure out if it really is cancer, then putting her through chemo, but she's 14 and we could spend all the money to help her and it might not do any good.

We've decided to just do everything possible to make her comfortable while she's still with us. We're changing her food to one that is better for the kidneys and liver, and also doing twice weekly subcu injections (which we'll do at home). The increased fluids should help her heart and her other organs function better. As far as we can tell, she's not in pain - she's still running around the house and keeping the other 2 cats in line. The vet said the cat she saw yesterday doesn't match the tests she was looking at today and then she called Kinzie a tough kitty. She's a fighter and she hasn't given up yet. We'll keep trying to help her as long as she keeps fighting, but we're not sure how much longer that will be.

And then after dealing with all this, I check my emails and find that the pastor of our village in Honduras was sent to the hospital with really bad kidney stones and stayed overnight. In the US this would be easy enough to treat, but down there it's really questionable the kind of care he'll get. So we're praying and trusting that he'll be taken care of and that he'll be able to go home soon. Please also be praying for Pastor Roberto, Olga and their sons.

So now I'm sitting here watching Dancing with the Stars and waiting to see who wins. It's really is a nice little escape while life swirls around me and teases me with situations out of my control. I just have to sit and wait and see what happens. My mantra this year has definitely been "seek peace and pursue it." (Psalm 34:14)

Good night, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment