Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Healing Part 2

Here's Part 2 of my blog and hopefully the rest of the story, but we will see how things go.

If you read the first part of this blog, you know that I was in a bad car accident and shattered the radius bone in my right arm. All of this happened in early February. I was able to go back to my job as a juvenile probation officer after about a week. I was hard getting dressed and getting around with that external fixator on my arm. I would say that it probably took me about 2 weeks to get used to the fixator and to be able to get around without much trouble.

I wore the external fixator until early May, which was three long months. I was seeing my orthopedic surgeon around every two weeks during that time, getting x-rays and doing routine care on the fixator. One of the visits to the surgeon, he unlocked the hinge of the fixator, allowing me to move my wrist. This was such a wonderful thing. Before he unlocked it, I would try my best to move my wrist, just a fraction, to be able to have some kind of control over my situation. The freedom to finally move my wrist was wonderful, even though it was really stiff and painful at the time.

In early May, my surgeon scheduled surgery to remove the fixator. I remember vividly how cold it felt laying on the operating room table, wait for the surgeon to come in. He finally came in and they started putting me under. The surgeon must have been in a big hurry, because he grab the drill that he used to remove the large bolts that were attached to the bones in my arm and hand. I remember him putting the drill on the first bolt and getting ready to turn it on, but I'm still awake! I was getting ready to say something as the drill started, but that is the last I remember. I went under in just the nick of time.

Well, life without the fixator was a whole lot better. I was able to get the fixator off just in time to meet a wonderful woman from Dayton Ohio of all places. If I would have had that horrible fixator on, I probably won't have gotten that second date.

In early June, I had another appointment with my surgeon, with him doing more x-rays. I remember him coming in the exam room and telling me that the bones were not growing together. He said after four months, the bones should have been healed, or at least well on their way. Apparently my bones were just not growing back together as they should. My doctor explained to me that I would need more surgery and that we needed to meet again the next Monday, to explore all of our options.

The weekend before that next appointment, I drove up to Dayton to see Cyndi. On Sunday, we went to church at the Vineyard in Beavercreek. At the end of the service, two of Cyndi's friends, who had been sitting in front of us, turned around and started to talk with us. They looked at my arm and asked some questions about it and asked if they could pray for me. I said sure, so they began to pray. It was a very peaceful time of prayer for me and I felt something going on, but I didn't know what. After they finished, they continued to talk with Cyndi.

While Cyndi was talking with her friends, I decided that I needed more prayer, so I went up front and ended up talking with Marc Dupont. I didn't know it at the time, but Marc has a global ministry and has been involved in a lot of healings. http://marcdupontministries.org/

Marc asked me to tell him my story and then he began to pray for me. I could feel what I can only describe as an electrical charge coming down from my shoulder, where Marc had his hand, leading down to my arm. My arm felt very warm and tingly. Marc and I talked for a few more minutes and then he moved on to the next person in line.

I got back to my seat and Cyndi said she had been wondering where I had been. I thanked her friends for their prayers and we headed out to finish the rest of our day together before I headed back home until the next weekend.

Monday morning came, so it was time to head on out to meet with my surgeon again, for what felt like the hundredth time. I went in an got my x-ray, just like I always did, then went and sat in the exam room and waited for the doctor. It seemed like forever waiting on him. I could hear him out in the hallway talking with someone, but it was a long time before he finally came in.

Once the doctor got in the room, he didn't mix words. He told me that he couldn't explain it, but that I didn't need surgery to repair my broken arm, since my arm wasn't broken anymore. He said he doesn't know how it happened, but the bones had grown together in a matter of days. He said that he wasn't even going to try to explain how that happened. I told him that I already knew how it happened.

Instead of scheduling surgery to try to do a bone graft to fix my broken arm, my surgeon scheduled surgery to remove the metal plate and screws that were holding my arm together. It was just an amazing and wonderful feeling to know that my arm was as good as new and it was all because of God.

During my first appointment with my doctor after the surgery, he told me that I would have only 75% use of my wrist. That would only be after extensive physical therapy. I can tell you that I have 100% use of my wrist and arm. He also said that I would have arthritis due to all of the trauma to the wrist. It has been four years and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

My wonderful parents made sure that I was brought up in church and I knew that miracles happened. I just didn't think that miracles could happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment